If you recall, we had to start trimming the frame to get the engine to sit down low enough. Even though the headers are low profile ceramic coated long tubes, they are still wider than the manifolds for the L96. The headers I picked up from Tick Performance. They are the Dynatech Lsx 67-69 Camaro 68-72 Nova # 715-11410, and I really wanted them to fit. Here's what the frame looked like with all the new IFS front end suspension mocked up.
So, we started trimming on the stock frame. Then we would mock the engine up to see what type of spacing we had between the frame rails, and back by the firewall.
Another issue we ran into was figuring out how to route the steering linkage to the power rack and pinion from the new Ididit column. As you could see - this solution here wasn't going to work:
After figuring out some custom linkage options, we were able to route the linkage just outside of the headers and it barely would clear the frame where we needed it. Success. So, we started boxing in the frame where we had made the cuts to strengthen the stock frame.
We had to cut a pretty good size chunk of metal out of the firewall to get the engine to fit.
Because of the hole, we patched up the firewall/cab with fresh metal.
After final fitment of the engine, headers, and steering linkage, we took everything back apart to take to the powder coaters to apply a nice gloss black finish to the front suspension parts. We finished out the detailing with some rattle can black paint on all the exposed metal on the frame and firewall.
Then, we put the front fenders back on to make sure everything fit with the radiator, steering linkage, etc. We had to make a cut in the inner fender on the driver side, but that will be fixed in the future with some custom metal when we detail out the engine bay.
As you can see, there wasn't much room with the steering linkage, but it works perfectly with no issues!
Now that she's buttoned back up, I really had the first good look at the new stance. I think it's perfect. It's about a 4" drop all the way around which isn't too extreme, but looks slightly more aggressive than stock. Plus, those 15" GM steel wheels with the Coker Classics 2 3/4 Inch Whitewall - 225/75R15 all the way around are just the look I was going for. Here are some shots before I put the hubcaps on:
Then I put the hubcaps and ribbed trim rings on. (We had to weld the hubcap clips to the wheels in order to get the old style hubcaps to "clip".
I'm really happy with the progress so far! Here's a shot video we shot this morning of the truck:
Check out what we did with the exhaust setup on the next build thread post, post #5!